As in all aspects of a child's life, the parents are the primary teachers of the faith. College Church requires that parents attend a preparation class before their child's baptism. This class, held in a home setting, assists parents for the task of Christian parenting.
Please contact here Paul and Mary Nagel to schedule a time to attend the Baptismal Class.
Requirements for a Godparent:
- Must not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized
- Has received the three Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist
- Is at least 16 years of age
- Must be a registered, practicing member of a Catholic Church who attends Mass on Sundays, receives the Sacraments regularly; sees to the religious instruction of his/her family and as godparents, are willing to assist the parents in raising the child in the Catholic faith.
- Must be a member of the Catholic Church, canonically free to carry out this office. If Married- this would indicate that a Catholic has been Married in the Catholic Church or has had their Marriage blessed in the Catholic Church. Catholics married outside the Church, or Catholics who choose to cohabitate outside of the Sacrament of Marriage are ineligible.
- Traditionally there are two godparents, only one male and one female, but only one Catholic godparent is required.
Christian Witness for Baptism:
A Non-Catholic can be a Christian witness ONLY if accompanied by a Catholic godparent. A baptized and believing Christian who is not Catholic , but practicing in his/her Christian Faith, can act as a Christian witness, BUT NOT AS A GODPARENT.
Any Catholic, who has abandoned the faith, even if they now are active members in another Christian Church or community, may not serve as a Godparent or as a Christian Witness. They have separated themselves from the Church and cannot serve even as a witness.
Through infant baptism, we welcome a child into the Church as he or she begins the journey of life in Christ.
The Greek word for baptize means to "plunge" or "immerse", and so we are baptized with water in the name of the Trinity to remind us of this rebirth.
Scheduling a Baptism
Infant Baptisms can be celebrated within select Sunday Eucharistic Liturgies or on either the first or third Sunday of the month at 12:00 noon.
For scheduling, please fill the form and email it to Fr. Juan Carlos Rivera Castro, S.J. at firstname.lastname@example.org.